Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato
A tender sweet potato stuffed with tempeh taco "meat", homemade guacamole, fresh tomatoes, and jalapenos. Topped with crunchy tortilla strips.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 small white onion chopped about 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 large avocadoes pitted and diced
- 2 tbsp lime juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz tempeh or firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack taco seasoning
- 1 roma tomato chopped
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- shredded lettuce & tortilla strips for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a piece of foil on a baking sheet. Use a fork to poke holes into the sweet potatoes, set them on the baking sheet, and roast for 40 to 50 minutes, or until puffed up and soft inside when pierced with a fork.
- In a medium bowl, combine onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice, and sea salt. Set aside
- Cover the bottom of a medium skillet with water and heat over medium. Once simmering, add tempeh and cover. Steam tempeh for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh from the skillet and set aside to cool. Rinse and dry skillet. You’ll be using it to finish the tempeh.
- Crumble the tempeh into little pieces. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the tempeh until the pieces are lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add taco seasoning, reduce heat to low, and cook about 5 more minutes.
- Slice baked sweet potatoes open lengthwise and stuff with tempeh, guacamole, chopped tomato, jalapeno, lettuce, and tortilla strips.