This Vegan Rasta Pasta is creamy and spicy. Inspired by Jamaican Rasta Pasta, the spice comes from jerk seasoning and the creaminess comes from the full fall coconut milk. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free making it a healthy choice that doesn’t skimp on flavor.
It only takes about 30 minutes to make this crowd-pleasing pasta.
Ingredients and Benefits
Brown Rice Pasta– a good source of fiber, minerals and antioxidants that can optimize health and prevent chronic disease.
Onion– contain antibacterial properties and promote digestive health, which may improve immune function.
Mushrooms– rich in the B vitamins: riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. The combination helps protect heart health
Scallion– help in keeping the heart healthy, preventing diabetes, reducing inflammation and bad cholesterol.
Tomato– a good source of several vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, and folate.
Garlic– helps boost your body’s immune system.
Bell peppers– rich in many vitamins and antioxidants, especially vitamin C and various carotenoids. For this reason, they may have several health benefits, such as improved eye health and reduced risk of several chronic diseases.
Coconut Milk– antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
Jerk seasoning– contains antioxidants, immune boosting spices, and aids in digestion and sleep.
Turmeric– reduces inflammation. Can be used to relieve arthritis, digestive disorders, respiratory infections, allergies, liver disease, depression, and many others.
Nutritional Yeast– high in B vitamins for healthy cells, metabolism, and even glowing skin
Olive Oil– high in healthy monosaturated fats and antioxidants. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
Thyme– anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties may help with skin conditions and may also help get rid of bacterial infections.
Eating healthy should never be boring and this pasta is proof of that! Enjoy!
Vegan Rasta Pasta
- 1 Box Box gluten-free pasta such as Jovial Brown RIce Pasta
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 6 oz Mushrooms
- 2 scallion sliced
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 bell peppers red, yellow/orange, and green, all sliced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of warm pasta water Saved from draining the pasta
- Sprinkle of thyme
- Cook pasta as directed on the box. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta cooking water, then drain in a colander and set aside.
- On medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and scallion until soft.
- Add the bell peppers to the pan, pour in the 1/4 cup of pasta water, reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and allow to steam for 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and stir in the tomato and jerk seasoning.
- Add the pasta, turmeric, and coconut milk into the skillet and stir all of the ingredients together.
- Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the nutritional yeast and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with thyme & enjoy!
The contents of this website, such as text, graphics, images and other material are intended for informational and educational purposes only and not for the purpose of rendering medical advice. The contents of this website are not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.Jump to Recipe